Is Your Data Replication Solution Aligned with Virtualization?
Data Replication Solution by Zerto Won Best of ShowZerto's award winning hypervisor-based replication software enables alignment of your Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery (BCDR) plan with your IT strategy. By using hypervisor-based data replication, you can reduce DR complexity and hardware costs and still protect your mission-critical virtualized applications.
Virtualization and cloud benefits include increased flexibility, better asset utilization and reduced operational and maintenance costs. However, legacy business continuity solutions for virtualized mission-critical applications impede these benefits as they are complex to manage, do not support advanced virtualization features and require additional hardware and software resources. All the benefits that are expected when the application is virtualized - lower costs, simplified management - are lost. As a result, your IT strategy is not aligned - you need to juggle a virtualized production environment with a physical replication solution.
If you are force-fitting a physical replication solution for DR of virtualized applications, you're missing out on the key benefits of virtual-aware disaster recovery:
Benefit 1: Reduce Hardware Costs
• Zerto is software-only and hardware-agnostic - so you can replicate from any type of storage to any type of storage.
• Leverage existing, underutilized storage as the replication target.
• Leverage lower-cost storage at the replication site.
Benefit 2: Reduce Complexity and Streamline IT Operations
Zerto dramatically reduces your day-to-day management complexity and streamlines your operations, eliminating the complexity typically associated with managing BC/ DR software solutions. Many of the manual tasks associated with a typical DR solution are automated with Zerto, reducing or eliminating errors.
• Select a VM in VMware vSphere vCenter and, with a few clicks, it is replicated and protected.
• Zerto fully automates the entire failover and failback process, including creation of all the VMs, reconfiguring IP addresses and executing custom scripts.
• Absolutely NO snapshots. Zerto uses continuous replication and does not utilize snapshots which can slow down your production environment.
• With Zerto's unique 'Virtual Protection Group' concept, you can protect an entire application spanning multiple VMs with a single policy and a single automated failover and failback process.
• Zerto seamlessly supports VMware VMotion, DRS and HA, plus Storage VMotion and DRS. With Zerto, you are able to fully realize the benefits of VMware and ensure your data protection strategy is maintained exactly as you have specified.
• Zerto's software-automated installation does not require any changes to your storage or server infrastructure, making deployment simple and straightforward. The entire install process is completed in minutes.
Benefit 3: Powerful BC/DR for Mission-Critical Applications
Protecting mission-critical applications is not only about copying data. It is about ensuring application recovery, protecting from logical errors and frequently testing failover to ensure you can recover when needed.
• Protect entire applications by selecting the VMs that are part of the application and let Zerto do the rest.
• Ensure consistent application protection and recovery with Zerto's Virtual Protection Group, with or without VSS support.
• Test failover with the click of a button, while maintaining protection of your production application.
• Recover from logical errors with 'point-in-time' recovery, enabling you to failover to a previous point in time.
Data Replication Software for Virtualized IT Environments from Zerto
Zerto is the first hypervisor-based, virtual-aware, data replication software solution specifically designed for tier-one applications deployed on virtual infrastructure. It replaces traditional array-based replication and business continuity / disaster recovery solutions that are not built to deal with the virtual IT paradigm. Contact us today to learn more.
Introducing Hypervisor-based Replication. Zerto offers a virtual-aware, software-only, tier-one, enterprise-class replication solution purpose-built for virtual environments. By moving replication up the stack from the storage layer into the hypervisor, Zerto created the first and only replication solution that delivers enterprise-class, virtual replication and BC/DR capabilities for the data center and the cloud.
Zerto architecture: Simple, effective, and virtual-ready
At the heart of this patent-pending replication technology are two key components:
Zerto Virtual Manager (ZVM)
The ZVM plugs directly into the virtual management console (such as VMware's VCenter), enabling visibility into the entire infrastructure. The ZVM is the nerve center of the solution, managing replication for the entire VSphere domain, keeping track of applications and information in motion in real time.
Virtual Replication Appliance (VRA)
The VRA is a software module that is automatically deployed on the physical hosts. The VRA continuously replicates data from user-selected virtual machines, compressing and sending that data to the remote site over WAN links.
Key Differences with Hypervisor-based Replication:
Because it is installed directly inside the virtual infrastructure (as opposed to on individual machines), the VRA is able to tap into a virtual machine's IO stream. Therefore, each time the virtual machine writes to its virtual disks, the write command is captured, cloned, and sent to the recovery site.
Unlike some replication technologies that primarily offer data protection along with cumbersome snapshots and backup paradigms, Zerto's solution provides continuous replication with zero impact on application performance.
Hypervisor-based replication is fully agnostic to storage source and destination, natively supporting all storage platforms and the full breadth of capabilities made possible by virtualization, including high availability, clustering, and the ability to locate and replicate volumes in motion.
Hypervisor-based replication offers many important benefits:
• Granularity: the ability to replicate at the correct level of any virtual entity, be it a single virtual machine, a group of virtual machines, or a virtual application (such as VMware VApp).
• Scalability: Zerto's hypervisor-based replication solution is software-based so it can be deployed and managed easily, no matter how fast or large the infrastructure expands. The solution also enables administrators to perform operations and configure policies at the level of the virtual machines or applications.
• Ease of management: With no guest-host requirements or additional hardware footprint, Zerto's solution is easy to manage. It simply resides in the hypervisor, enabling centralized management from the virtual management console (such as VMware VCenter).
• Server and storage motion: Only hypervisor-based replication allows you to quickly move virtual machines around from one physical server or array logical unit (data store) to another, while maintaining full replication.
• Hardware-agnostic: Hypervisor-based replication is hardware-agnostic, supporting all storage arrays including Storage Area Network (SAN) and Network-Attached Storage (NAS), and virtual disk types such as Raw Device Mapping (RDM) and VMware File System (VMFS).
• RPO and RTO: Zerto's hypervisor-based replication solution achieves RPO in seconds, and RTO in minutes.
Simple VMware Replication: Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Just Got Simple!
Zerto's replication for VMware enables automated data recovery, failover and failback and lets you select any VM in VMware's vCenter. It's that simple - no storage configuration necessary, no agent installation on guest required.
VMWare Replication without Storage Constraints
Zerto's VMWare Replication protects at the VM and VMDK level, which means that protection decisions can be made without any storage constraints.
• Replicate single or multiple VMs
• Use an intuitive GUI embedded in VMware's vCenter
• Protect multiple virtual disks connected to the same VM
• Recover immediately with the click of a button
• Support replication of RDM devices
• View and manage local and remote sites from the same vCenter
• Deliver consistent protection across your company with the ability to support multiple sites
Enterprise Class Replication for VMware
Zerto designed Enterprise-Class replication for VMware to replace array-based replication. It provides the flexibility, scalability and ease of use expected in the virtual world without compromising any of the features and functionality required for protecting mission-critical production applications.
• Achieve seconds of RPO with continuous replication
• Recover applications instantly and automatically, providing RTO of minutes
• Protect thousands of VMs with scale-out replication architecture
• Reduce application performance impact to zero by eliminating snapshots
• Recover from logical or operator errors with journal-based, point-in-time recovery
• Monitor and report with built-in reporting and performance UI
• Centralized management simplifies tasks, ensuring application availability
• NEW! Remote Office / Branch Office (ROBO) protection extends disaster recovery to branch offices or environments managed by a single vCenter
• NEW! Recovery validation for live failover
Multi-tier Application Protection & Recovery
Protect applications, not LUNs! With Zerto's Virtual Protection Groups (VPGs), you can group VMs and virtual disks to be protected and recovered together. This provides complete consistency, regardless of physical location on servers and storage.
• NEW! Parallel recovery accelerates large application availability
• Group VMs and virtual disks into VPGs
• Maintain all properties of VPGs, VMs and vApps
• Test recovery, failover and failback of entire VPGs
• Support VMotion, storage VMotion, DRS and HA while replicating
• Multi-site replication, protection and migration, enabling the protection of data at branch offices
• Offsite cloning and backup - create a copy of VMs on the replication site for testing, backup or development, with no impact on the production environment
• Get application protection policy and QoS
• Leverage built-in support for VSS and VMware vApp objects
Complete BC/DR: Replication, Testing, Recovery, CDP, Migration, Reporting
Zerto eliminates the need to use multiple solutions for your business continuity and disaster recovery needs. All required workflows and functionality are built-in with easy-to-follow, scalable wizards, empowering you to:
• NEW! Recovery reports document execution of BC/DR processes, for easy auditing and reporting
• NEW! 'test-before-you-commit' function allows test of a specific failover point before committing it, enabling 100% assurance that failover will be successful
• Failover one or more VPGs through automated failback
• Recover to a historic point-in-time with journal-based CDP
• Recover applications instantly, in full read-write mode
• Test failover, including full remote recovery in a sandboxed zone
• Migrate workloads to a remote datacenter
• Monitor with Recovery Time Objective (RTO) reports documenting results of BC/DR tests
vCloud Director Integration
• vCloud 5.1 seamless integration including native support for vApps, Storage Profiles, Org Networks, Provider VDC and more
• Easily replicates between vSphere and vCloud environments
Zerto provides enterprise-class business continuity and disaster recovery (BCDR) solutions for virtualized infrastructure and cloud. Zerto won Best of Show at VMworld 2011, as well as 2011 Product of the Year Gold Award because our software, Zerto Virtual Replication, is the industry's first hypervisor-based replication solution for tier-one applications. Zerto Disaster Recovery solutions replace traditional array-based BCDR that was not built to deal with virtual environments.